Copies of Crime/Accident Reports are released in accordance with Section 6254 of the California Government Code. These reports are considered to be confidential and are generally releasable to "interested parties" (as defined by applicable State codes) only, or by subpoena or court order.

Copies of Arrest Reports are generally only releasable by subpoena or court order.

Information concerning the final sentencing or trial status, or questions related to the actual prosecution of a case must be referred to the appropriate Superior Court Location or to the District Attorney's office as appropriate.

The department maintains most of its crime, arrest and accident reports for 10 years.  However, certain cases including homicides, escapes where the subject has not been arrested, unlocated missing persons/juveniles, sex crimes, and crimes against children are kept longer.

You can request a copy of a report from the Sheriff’s station that wrote the report or responded to the incident.

You may also request a copy of a report by completing a Service Request Form (English | Spanish) and submitting it to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Records & ID Division.

Submit the form by one of the following:

Visit the San Diego County Sheriff's Records & ID office during business hours Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
We are closed from 11:30am – 12:30pm for lunch starting March 1, 2019.

We are located at:
9621 Ridgehaven Ct
San Diego, CA 92193

Submit a request by mail

San Diego County Sheriff's Department
ATTN:  Records & ID Division, Cases Section
P.O. Box 939063
San Diego, CA 92193

A valid, government issued photo identification card (i.e., driver's license, passport, military ID) must be presented if request is submitted in person, or a copy of the ID must be enclosed if the request is submitted by mail. 

Fees, if applicable, must be paid before copies of reports are released.

Our goal is to process all requests within 3-10 business days.


The fee for a copy of a Crime, Arrest or Accident Report is $20.00.  However, the first copy of the crime report and the first copy of accident reports involving alcohol or drugs is free to the victim or their representative (i.e., insurance company, lawyer).  Fees can be paid by money order, certified check, or personal check if issued by a California bank. Please make checks payable to the "San Diego County Sheriff." Cash is also accepted if presented in person.